This one is pretty straight forward, but it also has its nuances. And you may think that those ‘recyclable’ or ‘compostable’ alternatives do the trick, but the sad truth is that they often find their way to the landfill too:
- Obviously, thrown out packaging fills our landfills, streets, and oceans with waste – endangering animals, soils/crops, and more
- As its sitting there degrading, the emissions from this waste also impact our climate/atmosphere
200 disposable containers and
500 plastic bags
Just some of the waste that the average American contributes due to takeout services or packed lunches per year
We tried recyclable and compostable, and it didn’t feel good. We’re proud to now be the only meal prep and meal delivery company in San Diego that offers entirely reusable packaging.
- Delivery bags – insulated and reusable
- Ice packs – super cold and reusable
- Food containers – sturdy, microwaveable, and reusable
- Labels – dissolvable and biodegradable
A carbon footprint is an interesting and often overwhelming concept. When we’re talking about food deliveries, we’re talking about:
- The food that you order – yes, we’re talking about cow farts (and other factors)
- How you get that food – was it shipped across country in a big truck? Delivered locally in a car that hasn’t passed SMOG?
- And finally, even the method of ordering, because even websites/apps have an impact
Carbon emissions of 6 million tons...
…estimated from food delivery services in 2022. Ordering just 1 meal for delivery could increase your weekly carbon emissions by up to 50%
- Our Pitted Seed menu has plant-based options for every meal, and we encourage it!
- We partner with local restaurants and only deliver within our local communities, and we batch orders together in efficient routes – and with your continued support we’ll build out an impressive all-electric fleet of vehicles!
- We run as lean of a site as possible, and are always looking for ways to improve it more!
But don't just take our word for it